Foods Matter Research, News and Comment  

Go Back   Foods Matter Research, News and Comment > Candida and sugar/sweeteners

Candida and sugar/sweeteners For more articles and research on this topic CLICK HERE

Old 06-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Default Xylitol - a real sweetie

Xylitol is the sweetener of choice for nutritionists and has many benefits:

* Unlike most of the commonly used sugar substitutes, xylitol is a natural occurring substance found in various foods, especially fruits, and our own bodies produce up to 15gr of it each day.

* It has all the sweetness of cane or beet sugar, but with 40% less calories and a GI of only 7, and most adults can tolerate at least 40g per day.

* It has minimal impact on blood sugar and insulin requirements, so may play a small but significant role in the prevention and management of diabetes.

* It reduces the risk of dental cavities. See: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=63238

* A few studies have shown that it can help increase bone volume and density, so it may be beneficial for bone health and may even have potential as a treatment for osteoporosis.

* It has no side effects other than being mildly laxative, and it is not toxic in humans, although it can cause serious and possibly life-threatrening problems in dogs, See: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=53202

* It inhibits the bacteria which cause ear infections and there is already evidence that children who use Xylitol chewing gum or syrup may get fewer ear infections.

* Used as a nasal wash it can aid relief of irritation caused by pollutants, allergens and infections of the nasal passages. 'Xlear' (pronounced "clear") is a patented, non-addictive nasal wash that helps to bathe, hydrate and moisturize the nasal passages. See: http://www.xlear.co.uk/

Xylitol does inhibit yeast, so is of limited use in baking, and most brands may not be suitable for people with gluten sensitivity because they are derived from corn. However, one brand which is grain-free, being sourced exclusively from hardwood trees, is Smart Sweet. Details of this at: http://www.xylitol-brand-comparison.com/
Old 06-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Xylitol - a real sweetie

And the good Dr Mercola also approves of Xylitol!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...e-Xylitol.aspx
Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Whatever about Xylitol – and I am sure it is excellent stuff – certainly if what John is saying is anything to go by – but has anyone tried Sweet Freedom?
It is a liquid syrup made entirely from apples, grapes and carob and comes in a plastic jar you can squeeze it out of. A diabetic friend was raving to me about it because it is low GI and low GL. I have now tried it and it is jolly good – not yuckily sweet and very easy to use as you just squeeze however much you want out of the jar. You can check it out on thier website at http://www.dietfreedom.co.uk
I guess that compared to sugar it is pretty expensive – around £3 for a pot with about 350g in it – but it goes a long way. And that xylitol isn’t that cheap either! I saw it for over £8 for a 500g pack – but then that goes a long way too I guess!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:36 PM

Talking Re: Xylitol - a real sweetie

I wrote to the makers of Perfect Sweet, a xylitol powder available in the main supermarkets - it is made from birch, so should be suitable for most. I also use Agave syrup - very sweet and very low GL so won't affect blood sugar. The other liquid mentioned sounds yum too, so I shall try that out soon.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Hi Anne

I bought some Sweet Freedom, and you're right - it really is delish! I was rather concerned that it might be high in fructose (see http://www.foodsmatter.com/foodsmatt...hread.php?t=92 for why eating a lot of fructose is not a good idea) but it is only 35% fructose, which is quite low compared with Agave syrup, for example, which can be between 70-90% fructose, depending on the version you buy.

Sweet Freedom also contains 40% sucrose and a range of other naturally-occurring sugars found in the fruits it is made from - apples, grapes and carob. Produced without the use of any chemicals or enzymes, it has nothing else added to it, and has 25% less calories than white sugar, is gluten free, GM free, low-GI, low GL and vegan.

However, I suppose one shouldn't get too carried away, as, despite being commendably 'natural', and very yummy, Sweet Freedom is, at the end of the day, sugar and water, and, as Micki has said elsewhere in this forum, "sugar is sugar is sugar... so the best approach is to limit it, whatever you decide to use!"
Old 07-02-2009, 01:03 PM

The prolific Dr Mercola has just posted an interesting new article on agave syrup/nectar, which makes for salutary reading. He explains why agave is best avoided, why sugar in any form should be limited, why artificial sweeteners are a complete no-no, and why stevia is a wise choice.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ver-Truth.aspx

As far as I know, the only 'sweeteners' that Dr M recommends are Xylitol, raw, organic honey (used in moderation) and stevia (also in moderation), although he recommends avoiding stevia-based sweeteners like Truvia and PureVia.

Last edited by Franky; 07-02-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Hello all -

Whatever about Sweet Freedom, agave and the rest of them - have any of you ever tried Stevia? I did some years ago and it was quite the most revolting thing I have ever tasted! It had a terrible clinging sweetness that stayed with you literally for days. Maybe they have refined it a bit by now..... Hope so, if it is so virtuous!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 AM

Just read all the comments on the Mercola site in response to his piece about agave. One in particular is worth a read to balance out his quite strong views on the subject. I'm feeling wary of all this hoo-ha about fructose. I am yet to be convinced it is a real problem. However, as I've said before, a little of what you fancy won't do you any harm, but a LOT will!

Micki
Old 03-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Hi Micki

Regarding your wariness about 'all this hoo-ha about fructose', this interview is definitely worth watching. It's with a US researcher who is looking at the effects on the metabolic system of fructose in general, and HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) in particular, with a view to understanding how fructose might be involved in the causation of a number of diseases.

I'd be interested in your further comments once you've had chance to view this.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Hi Micki

The evidence against agave does seem to be getting pretty solid, so I'm wondering if you have revised your opinion on this yet?