Freefrom Pan Fried Za'atar Seabass with Persian Jewelled Buckwheat
Corn free, dairy free, egg free, gluten free, lactose free, peanut free, soya free, wheat free; can be nut free
Catherine Rose (of Sweetcheeks and the Printworks Kitchen) cooked this dish in a demonstration that she did for us last year at Foods Matters Live – along with her own gluten-free donuts with a chocolate dippy sauce.... You can watch her cooking both in the video below or just move straight on to the recipe for her totally delicious seabass!
Freefrom Pan Fried Za'atar Seabass
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, soya & wheat free
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried sumac
- 1 tbsp dried marjoram
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 4 x 100-150g fillets of seabass
- rapeseed oil
- To make the Za'atar toast some sesame seeds
- Mix together some dried sumac, dried oregano, dried marjoram and dried thyme.
- Add in the sesame seeds and mix well.
- Cover the seabass fillets with the za'atar and leave to sit for a while or even overnight.
- Heat some rapeseed oil in a non stick pan.
- When it is bubbling, add the seabass in skin-side down and leave to sizzle for 5 mins
- When the flesh is almost all opaque, flip the bass over to cook for a further 1-2 mins
- Slide out of the pan onto your plate/buckwheat salad/rice and grind some Himalayan Pink Salt on top to taste
Freefrom Persian Jewelled Buckwheat
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, peanut, soya & wheat free; can be nut free
- 500g buckwheat
- juice 1 lemon
- 1 pomegranate
- bunch fresh mint
- bunch fresh dill
- bunch fresh tarragon
- 1 tbsp pistachio nuts or pumpkin seeds
- 100ml pomegranate molasses
- 100ml rapeseed oil
- pink salt to taste
- Rinse the buckwheat well
- Add to a pan of boiling water and boil for 1-2 mins
- Squeeze the lemon juice in and a good grind of salt
- Turn heat down and simmer for 10 mins or until the buckwheat is softer, but still a bit crunchy with a nutty flavour.
- Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Leave to dry on some kitchen roll so that the moisture is absorbed otherwise the buckwheat could go a tad slimy.
- Finely chop all the herbs together and add to a bowl with the buckwheat.
- Roll the pomegranate to loosen the seeds.
- Cut in half around the middle and hold the pomegranate with the flat cut edge in your palm.
- Bash the pomegranate over the bowl with the back of a wooden spoon and all the seeds should fall out.
- Add in the pistachio nuts/pumpkin seeds (crushed or whole) and stir salad together.
- Drizzle with pomegranate molasses, rapeseed oil and salt to season.
- The salad should be glossy and coated with the dressing but not too wet.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: