Anna Doggart's Freefrom Soda 'Breads'
Egg, gluten, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
Anna is an old friend of ours who has cooked for a coeliac family for years, complicated over the last few years by the fact that her son George cannot eat eggs. 'When they are served people often slice them in half and then butter them. I have also made them with Christmas mince meat folded into the middle of the dough mixture. They worked out really well. We particularly like the fact that they are both wheat and egg free so both Frank and George can eat them. I should also say that I find them delicious too!'
- 225g/8oz Doves wheat and gluten-free bread flour
- 1 flat teaspoon salt
- 1 flat tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 285 ml/scant half pint of buttermilk
- Mix all together in a bowl
- Divide in half and flatten out each into a flat round about 10mm thick
- Cut each round into 4 pieces.
- Heat a very thick bottomed frying pan, or cast iron pan.
- Brush very lightly with oil.
- Place quarters in pan and cook gently, turn and cook other side, when they will rise to about twice the thickness.
- Once cooked turn quarters on their edges to finally cook through.
4g Fat ( 1g Sat fat, 1.5g mono, 1.5g poly)
190g Carbohydrate of which 18g Sugar
9g Fibre, 3500mg Sodium, 8.9g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: