Freefrom Spiced Apple, Date and Polenta (Cornmeal) Cake
Gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
This makes a really tasty, fruity cake.
- 3 whole sharp-flavoured dessert apples
- 100g / 3½ oz soft dates
- 50g / 2 oz sunflower seeds
- 125g / 4½ oz dairy-free spread
- 2 whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 100g / 3½ oz maize flour or polenta (cornmeal)
- 75g / 2½ oz potato flour
- 1 tsp each mixed spice (all spice) and cinnamon
- 2 heaped tsp gluten & wheat free baking powder (baking soda)
- 4 tbsp apple juice
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Slash the apple skins in a couple of places then microwave them, whole, on high, for 6 minutes.
- Scrape off the flesh and discard the skin and pips.
- Puree the dates with the apple until smooth.
- Whizz the sunflower seeds in a food processor till they are well broken but not powdered.
- Toast them lightly in a dry pan until they tan but do not let them burn. Cool.
- Cream the spread and add the apples, dates and sunflower seeds.
- Sift the flours with the spices and the baking powder (baking soda).
- Add the eggs and egg yolks to the mixture alternately with spoonfuls of the flours, beating slowly.
- Fold in the rest of the flour and the apple juice, adding a little extra apple juice if the mixture seems too dry.
- Spoon into a 20cm sandwich tin (8" sandwich pan) and bake for 30 minutes or till the cake is firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack before cutting.
2317cals - 45g protein
154g total fat - 74g sat / 42g mono / 22g poly
192g carbohydrate of which 107g sugar
1.4g fibre - 2145mg sodium / 5.4g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: