Michelle's Freefrom Chocolate and Pear Upside-down Cake
Corn, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
A lovely goo-ey dessert.
- 2 large-ish pears
- 75g / 2½ oz dairy-free spread - we used PURE
- 125g / 4½ oz date or rice syrup, or pear and apple spread
- 2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- 3 eggs
- 100g / 3½ oz wheat/gluten-free flour - we used Doves Farm
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Grease the bottom of an ovenproof soufflé dish or cake tin - 16-18cm across (6-7" cake pan).
- Quarter, core and peel the pears and lay, hump side down, in a pattern in the bottom of the dish.
- Heat the spread with the syrup or spread in a pan till both are melted.
- Mix the cocoa with the boiling water until thick and smooth, then mix into the spread and syrup.
- Separate two of the eggs and set the whites aside.
- Mix the other egg and the two yolks, alternately with the flour, into the mix ensuring that there are no lumps.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks then fold into the mixture.
- Pour into the soufflé dish or cake tin and bake for 30 minutes.
- To serve, loosen the sides with a sharp knife then unmould the cake onto a warmed plate. The middle should still be quite runny, providing a ready-made sauce. Serve at once.
Serves 4-6 - per portion (serving 4)
400cals - 10g protein
22g total fat - 2g sat / 12g mono / 4g poly
43g carbohydrate of which 23g sugar
3g fibre - 339mg sodium / 0.8g salt
Good source of: Vitamin B12 & copper
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: