Katherine's Freefrom Orange and Pumpkin Seed Cake
Corn, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
Moist and seriously orangey....
- 2 Oranges
- 200g / 7oz caster (superfine granulated) sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tbs pumpkin seeds
- 150ml / 5 fl oz rice (or other dairy free) milk
- 250g / 9oz brown rice flour
- 3 tsp gluten-free baking powder (baking soda)
- Wash the oranges thoroughly, place in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring the water to the boil and then simmer on a low heat for 2 hours.
- You will need to top up the water every now and then to make sure the pan doesn't boil dry.
- Remove the oranges from the pan and when they are cool enough to handle, cut them in quarters, remove any seeds and whizz to a puree in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Grease and line a 23cm tin (9" cake pan).
- Chop or process the pumpkin seeds as small as you fancy.
- In a large bowl beat the orange pulp with the sugar, egg yolks, milk and pumpkin seeds.
- Mix in the flour and baking powder (baking soda).
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- First stir a large spoonful into the main mix and then carefully fold the rest of the egg whites in to retain the air.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and cook for 45 minutes until golden brown or a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin to cool slightly before turning onto a wire cooling rack.
- Once cooled store in an airtight container.
Serves 9 – per portion
Calories 263 Kcals
4.5g Fat (1.2g Sat fat, 1.5g mono, 0.9g poly)
50g Carbohydrate of which 27g Sugar
1.3g Fibre, 200mg Sodium, 0.508 g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: