Simple Freefrom Sponge
Corn, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
While local soft fruits are in the shops - and on the pick-your-own farms - it seems a shame not to make the most of them. You will need 500-750g / 1-1½ lb of soft fruit for this desert.
- 6 medium eggs
- 150g / 5½ oz caster (fine white) sugar
- 150g / 5½ oz rice flour
- Heat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas mark 3.
- Line a loose bottomed 18cm cake tin (7" cake pan) with floured greaseproof (waxed) paper.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together with an electric whisk until they are light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and fold it very carefully into the egg mixture making sure that you do not get any lumps of flour.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 20-30 minutes or till the cake is firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and, carefully, from the tin.
- Peel off the greaseproof (waxed) paper and allow to cool on a rack before covering with soft fruit of your choice.
- You can also split the cake and fill it with extra fruit.
Serves 6 per portion
271cals - 10g protein
7g total fat -
2g sat / 3g mono / 1g poly
46g carbohydrate of which 26g sugar
1g fibre - 109mg sodium / 0.2g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: