Cressida's Yummy Freefrom Apple Flan
Corn, gluten, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
And yummy is the word for it….
- 200g / 7oz gluten and wheat–free pastry – Cressida used the Genius shortcrust which we thought was excellent (read our review).
- ground cinnamon and mixed spice
- extra muscovado sugar
- 4 small tart apples, peeled and cored but reserve the peel and cores
- 3 tsp dark muscovado sugar or dark agave syprup
- 30ml / 1 floz water
- Heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6.
- Roll out pastry, approx half the Genius 400g pack (following preparation guidelines on the pack), into 0.5cm or 5mm thickness and lay into a 20cm / 8 inch pie dish.
The rise of pastry up the side should be about 1.5-2cm, making a shallow tart case.
- Prick base all over with a fork and blind bake for 10 minutes until base is just crisp/cooked.
- Meanwhile, put the apple core and peel into a small pan with the 3 teaspoons of sugar (muscovado) or syrup (agave) and 30ml water, and heat on a very low heat for five/ten minutes to make an apple syrup.
- Remove the flan case from oven and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon, mixed spice and a little sugar or syrup.
- Quarter the apples then slice into crescent moon shapes. Lay the apple slices around the outer edge of the base in a circle, and then lay another circle inside this one.
- Sprinkle the apple with a little more spice and sugar, the latter depending on the apples tartness.
- Pour on the juice from the saucepan and return to the oven for about 14 minutes.
- Serve either alone, immediately, or with soya or oat cream.
- This tart is also delicious eaten cold a day later...
Serves 4 - per portion:
14g Fat ( 4.5g Sat fat, 5g mono, 3.7g poly)
41g Carbohydrate of which 18.6g Sugar
3.7g Fibre, 205mg Sodium, 521g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: