Val's Freefrom 'Perfect' Gluten Free Pastry
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
From Val Martin:
About December I each year I wrestle with pastry to make mince pies. It is the only time I bother, and usually it ends up in the bin. However this time I seem to have hit on the answer so I am sending you the recipe. It really does work very well and handles and rolls out much as normal pastry. I hope readers find it useful. I lined a 25cm flan dish with it and made a large apple tart - first one in about 12 years!
- 150g / 5½ oz Doves Farm gluten-free white bread flour
- 25g / 1 oz icing (confectioner's) sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Ener-G egg replacer (needs to be accurate)
- 85g / 3 oz goat’s butter
- Sieve the flour, icing (confectioners) sugar and egg replacer together.
- Rub in the goat’s butter and blend with 1 tablespoon water.
- Knead together and rest for about half an hour - probably best not in fridge or it becomes too cold to roll out.
- It seems to keep alright in the fridge and can be used next day if brought up to room temperature before using.
- Cook about 15 minutes at 170C/340F/Gas mark 3½.
- Makes a flan to serve four or 6-8 mince pies.
Serves 4 - per portion
332cals - 6g protein
20g total fat - 7g sat / 5g mono / 1g poly
36g carbohydrate of which 7g sugar
1g fibre - 152mg sodium / 0.3g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: