Spiced Blackberry Polenta Cake
Gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
Serve with some warm custard for a hearty autumnal pudding.
- 110g polenta
- 200g plain gluten free flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 150g caster sugar + 1 tbsp
- 150g dairy free spread
- Zest of 1 orange - juice of ½
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 400g blackberries
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Heat oven to 180oC / Gas Mark 4
- Grease and line the base of a 24cm loose bottom tin.
- Put the black berries in a bowl and sprinkle over 1 tbsp caster sugar and the ground spice.
- Stir gently and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the polenta, flour, baking powder, caster sugar and xanthan gum.
- Add the spread and rub with your fingertips until you have breadcrumbs.
- Remove about a third of the crumbs and place in a small dish.
- Whisk the orange juice and zest, egg, and oil together.
- Add to the polenta mixture and whisk vigorously for a few minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth even.
- Gently place the blackberries as evenly as possible over the top.
- Crumble over the crumb mixture that you set aside earlier using your fingertips.
- Sprinkle over the demerara sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let the cake cool in the tin before loosening the edges with a knife and removing from the tin.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: