Michelle's Freefrom Pear and Date Clafoutis
Gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
from Michelle's book Cooking Gluten, Wheat and Dairy Free
This is as great way of using up some of those pears that simply will not ripen. You can use a fizzy elderflower drink or champagne, or else make one up with a little elderflower cordial and fizzy water.
- 3 large pears, peeled and quartered
- 6 soft dates, stones removed
- 150ml/5 floz elderflower 'champagne'
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp maize flour or polenta
- 1½ tbsp rice flour
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 10 walnut halves
- Slice the pears thinly and put them in a pan.
- Slice then chop the dates into small pieces and add to the pears along with the elderflower drink.
- Cover the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 10–15 minute or until the pears are soft – how long this takes will depend on how ripe they are.
- Strain the juices and reserve.
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Beat the egg in an electric mixer.
- Add the flours and the vanilla essence and beat again briefly to amalgamate.
- Beat in the juice form the pears.
- Pour this mixture into the bottom of a flan or pie dish then arrange the pears and dates over the top and dot with the walnut halves.
- Cover the dish and bake for 15 minutes then uncover and continue to bake for a further 10 minutes to crisp the nuts.
- Serve alone or with whatever yogurt or cream that you can eat.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: