Freefrom Haddock Filled Aubergine (Eggplant) Patties with Red (Sweet) Pepper Salad
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
I always have a problem knowing what to do with aubergines (eggplant) - and faced with three the other day I wondered how they would work as burger buns... So here you go...
Grilling the aubergines is a bit time-consuming but can be done while you are making the fillings. I served it with red peppers and shallots, very slowly cooked together.
- 6-8 aubergines (eggplant) - enough to give you 48 reasonable size slices about the thickness of your little finger
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Heat a grill (broiler).
- Fill the grill tray with aubergine (eggplant) slices over which you have dribbled a little olive oil and grated plenty of sea salt and black pepper.
- Grill until lightly browned on one side then turn over and repeat the process on the other side.
- The slices should be soft to the knife.
- Set aside and repeat the process with the next batch of slices.
- 1 large onion, chopped very fine in a food processor
- 1 generous tbsp olive oil
- 100g / 3½ oz quinoa
- 600ml / 20fl oz gluten/wheat free vegetable stock
- 400g / 14 oz hot-smoked haddock
- 2 tbsp grated horseradish
- Sweat the onion in the oil very slowly until it is totally soft then add the quinoa.
- Stir well then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is very soft.
- Meanwhile, break up/mash the smoked haddock.
- Add it to the quinoa along with the horseradish.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Make into small patties the size of your aubergine (eggplant) slices.
- To serve, sandwich the haddock mixture between two slices of aubergine (eggplant) and reheat, lightly covered, in a moderate oven for 15 minutes.
Red (Sweet) Pepper Salad
- 18 shallots, peeled
- 6 long red Romano peppers
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- In a heavy pan heat the oil and add the onions.
- Cook gently for 10-15 minutes or until they are just starting to soften.
- Meanwhile pip the peppers and slice them crossways.
- Add to the shallots and continue to cook very slowly, stirring regularly for 40-50 minutes or until both vegetables are completely cooked through.
- Serve with the burgers.
Serves 6 - per portion
334cals - 23g protein
13g total fat - 2g sat /
7.5g mono / 2g poly
33g carbohydrate of which
2.5g fibre -
730mg sodium / 1.8g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin A, B6 & B12
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: