Freefrom Fish Pie with a Polenta and Butternut Squash Topping
Egg, gluten, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame & wheat free; can be lactose, milk & soya free
Mixing polenta (cornmeal) with the squash and celeriac for the topping works really well as both vegetables can be a bit 'sloppy' and the polenta not only holds them together but gives them a delicous flavour. You can use any variety of smoked fish for the pie but try to make sure that it is smoked and not dyed.
- 100g / 3½ oz pre-softened polenta (cornmeal)
- 400ml / 13½ fl oz boiling water
- 500g / 1lb 2oz butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 300g / 11 oz celeriac root, peeled and diced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, flinely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 150g / 5½ oz button mushrooms, wiped and halved
- 50g / 2 oz butter, dairy-free spread or 2 tbps olive oil
- 50g / 2 oz gluten-free flour
- 80ml / 2½ fl oz dry white wine
- 120ml / 4fl oz goat, sheep, oat, soya or coconut milk
- 300g / 10½ oz smoked fish – haddock, mackerel, trout or salmon – flaked
- 2 tbsp gluten-free bread crumbs or mixed chopped nuts
- In a small pan add the water to the polenta (cornmeal), stir well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the squash and celeriac until they are soft, then purée in a food processor.
- Add the polenta (cornmeal) and whizz quickly to mix.
- Season to taste and keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the onions, leek and garlic.
- Cook gently for 4-5 minutes or until they are softening, then add the mushrooms and continue to cook for several more minutes.
- Meanwhile melt or heat the butter, spread or oil in a separate pan and add the gluten-free flour.
- Stir well for a couple of minutes then gradually add the wine and the milk, stirring continually until the sauce thickens.
- Add the onion mixture and the fish and mix gently together so that you don't break the fish up too much.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into a pie dish, top with the vegetables and polenta and sprinkle the breadcrumbs or nuts over the top.
- Lightly brown the top under a grill (broiler) and serve at once with a green vegetable or salad.
Serves 6 – per portion
300cals – 17.5g protein
14g total fat – 5.5g sat / 5.5g mono / 1.5g poly
24.5g carbohydrate of which 8g sugar
5g fibre – 1087mg sodium / 2.7g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin B1, B3, B6, B12, C, magnesium & folate
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: