Freefrom Smoked Trout with Warm Potatoes
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
A light and simple dish for a light lunch or for a starter. It is very nice
entirely cold – but even nicer if the potatoes are warm. You could substitute aniseeds for the fennel seeds and two sticks of celery for the head of fennel.
- 12 small potatoes, sliced into thinnish slices
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly bruised
- ½ head fresh fennel, chopped finely
- 1 heaped tsp fresh horseradish
- juice 1 large lemon
- sea salt
- a couple of handfuls of mixed green leaves
- 6 fillets smoked trout
- Lay one layer of the potato slices in the bottom of a steamer then sprinkle over some of the fennel seeds.
- Cover with a second layer of potatoes and more seeds.
- Steam for 10–15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, mix the fennel with the horseradish and lemon juice and season to taste with sea salt.
- Lay a few leaves out on each plate or on a serving dish.
- Carefully remove the potatoes from the steamer, scraping off most of the fennel seeds, and lay them over the leaves.
- Arrange the trout fillets on top of the potatoes and spread the fennel and horseradish mixture along the middle of the trout.
- Decorate with a final leaf before serving
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: