Michelle's Freefrom Bacon and Celery Casserole with Mung Beans
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
A great casserole. If you want to make it vegetarian, substitute 200g / 7 oz smoked or marinated tofu for the bacon
and add it once the casserole is cooked.
- 200g / 7 oz mung beans, soaked for 3-4 hours
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head celery, sliced fairly thickly
- 2 green peppers, de-seeded and sliced
- 3 heaped tsp mixed herbs
- 200g / 7oz smoked back bacon, cut in large dice
- 1 litre / 34fl oz gluten and wheat-free vegetable stock
- 400g / 14oz tin (can) butter beans
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large handful of fresh flat (if possible) parsley
- Drain and rinse the soaked mung beans.
- In a flame-proof casserole dish heat the oil and add the celery, green peppers, herbs and bacon.
- Fry briskly, but do not burn, for 8–10 minutes or until the celery is starting to soften.
- Add the mung beans and the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20–30 minutes or until the mung beans are soft to the bite.
- Add the butter beans and season to taste.
- Roughly chop the parsley and add just before you serve the dish so that it remains virtually uncooked.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: