Michelle's Freefrom Beef Stroganoff
Corn, egg, gluten, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame & wheat free; can be lactose, milk & soya free
Another excellent recipe that I developed for the Tesco RealFood site.
- 1 very large or 2 medium onions, sliced very finely
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt
- 50g / 2 oz butter or (if you want to avoid dairy) 4 extra tbsp olive oil
- 150g / 6 oz chestnut mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 600g / 1½ lb tail fillet of beef or rump steak, cut into matchsticks apprx 5cm/2 inches long and 1.5cm/ ½ inch thick
- 200ml / 7fl oz double cream or, if you want to avoid dairy, soya or oat cream
- juice ½ a lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- watercress or parsley to decorate
- Put the onions along with the oil and a pinch of salt (to stop the onions burning) into a wide pan and cook very gently for 10–15 minutes or until they are quite soft.
- Add 25g / 1 oz of the butter if you are using it, or another 2 tablespoons of oil and the mushrooms, turn up the heat slightly and cook slightly faster for another 3–4 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Transfer the vegetables to a warmed serving dish and keep warm.
- Prepare and cook what ever vegetables you wish to serve – rice or steamed potatoes with a green vegetable such as broccoli or courgettes steamed with spinach and set aside to keep warm.
- When you are ready to serve heat the remains of the butter or oil in the pan till it sizzles.
- Add the beef matchsticks and cook briskly, turning continually, for 2–3 minutes if you want the matchsticks to remain pink in the middle, 4–5 minutes if you want them cooked through.
- Add the cream and lemon juice, stir around then season to taste.
- Spoon over the onions and mushrooms in the serving dish, decorate with a bunch of watercress or parsley and serve at once.
Serves 4 - per portion
53g Fat (28g Sat fat, 17g mono, 3g poly)
52g Carbohydrate of which 5g Sugar
3g Fibre, 360mg Sodium, 0.9g salt
Good Source: Iron,Zinc,B1,B2,B6,B12
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: