Freefrom Caribbean Chicken with Ginger
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
Colourful and tasty…. You will need two large flat pans to cook the dish.
- 8–10 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 green chillies, piped and sliced finely
- 50g / 2 oz piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks
- 2 large red and 1 large yellow pepper, pipped and sliced
- approximately 1 kilo / 2lb sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large chicken, jointed
- 1 tbsp gluten and wheat-freeflour
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 300ml / 10fl oz dry white wine
- 500g / 1lb 2oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g / 9oz fresh spinach leaves
- 1 large banana, finely sliced
- Heat half the oil in a large flat pan and add the onions, chillies, ginger and peppers.
- Fry briskly for 5–10 minutes or until they are softening. Remove into bowl.
- Mix the flour with the cayenne pepper and lightly coat the chicken pieces.
- Add more oil to the pan and briskly fry the chicken pieces until they are lightly browned and crisp on both sides.
- Set aside.
- Add the wine to the pan to deglaze all the sticky bits off the bottom then add the tomatoes.
- Cook for a few minutes till the juices are running then remove half into a separate bowl.
- Divide the vegetables, sweet potato, chicken pieces and tomato mixture between the two pans and mix well.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until the chicken and sweet potato are cooked.
- Season to taste.
- Add half the spinach leaves and the sliced banana to each pan and mix well in – the spinach will wilt in the heat of the pan.
- Check the seasoning and serve on its own or with rice and a green salad or vegetable.
Serves 6 – per portion
19g Fat (3g Sat fat, 12g mono, 2.5g poly)
48g Carbohydrate of which 19g Sugar
7.5g Fibre, 283mg Sodium, 0.7g salt
Good Source: B1 B6 Niacin, folate , vitamin C
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: