Michelle's Freefrom Chicken Breast with Ginger
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
from Michelle's book Cooking Gluten, Wheat and Dairy Free
This is a very simple but very tasty dish - but you must allow the chicken to marinate for 3-4 hours for the flavours to mature. If you cannot eat nightshades, substitute two bunches of spring onions (scallions), trimmed, sliced lengthways and fried very briefly in the oil.
- 6 chicken breasts
- a 50g / 2 oz piece of fresh ginger
- juice of 3 limes or 2 large lemons
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large yellow peppers
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Skin the chicken breasts and cut them in bite-sized matchsticks.
- Peel the ginger and cut into very thin matchsticks.
- Mix the ginger and chicken well together, season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, pour over the lime or lemon juice.
- Cover and leave in a cool place to marinate for 3-4 hours.
- De-seed the peppers and cut into long, thin strips.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and slowly cook the peppers, stirring regularly, until very soft - this will take 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the peppers with a slotted spoon, drain as much oil as possible from the peppers back into the pan and set aside.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and ginger from pan, reserving the juices.
- Reheat the oil and briskly fry the chicken and ginger, without burning, for 3-4 minutes or until cooked.
- Add the marinating juices and stir together for another minute.
- Remove from the heat, mix in the peppers thoroughly and serve warm or at room temperature with lightly cooked broccoli or a green salad.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: