Michelle's Freefrom Venison Braised with Mustard
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium leeks, finely sliced
- 6–12 rashers of smoked back bacon, depending on size – you need enough to wrap each venison steak
- wheat and gluten-free whole grain mustard
- 6 venison steaks
- 2 heaped tsp fresh thyme or 1½ tsp dried thyme
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 wine glass red wine
- Heat the oil in a wide heavy pan and gently sauté the leeks for 5-10 minutes or until they are softening.
- Meanwhile ‘butter’ the bacon rashers generously with the mustard on one side only.
- Wrap the steaks in the bacon, mustard side facing the steaks, and lay them over the leeks in the pan.
- Sprinkle over the thyme, a little salt and pepper and pour over the wine.
- Cover and simmer very gently for 45 minutes.
- To serve, remove the steaks onto a serving dish or individual plates.
- Spoon over the leeks then pour over the cooking juices.
- Serve with baked potatoes and a green vegetable.
Serves 6 – per portion
270cals – 40g protein
9g total fat – 3.5g sat / 3.5g mono / 1.5g poly
2g carbohydrate of which 1.5g sugar
1.5g fibre – 734mg sodium / 1.8g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin B2, B6, iron, copper, zinc & magnesium
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: