Michelle's Freefrom Spring Cabbage Minestrone
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
This is really not a minestrone at all – except that it includes bacon, cabbage and pasta – but a 'minestrone' sounds so much more exciting than 'cabbage soup'! This is a serious winter meal-in-a-bowl – I defy anyone to fit in another mouthful of anything else after a good helping!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped fairly small
- 100g turnip, grated
- 2 large rashers of fatty back bacon, ideally smoked, chopped small
- 1 head spring cabbage or green, washed, the stalks removed and chopped fairly small
- 1.5 litres gluten and wheat free vegetable stock
- 120g fusilli (We used the Dell'Ugo chickpea fusilli but you could use any other gluten-free fusilli)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a biggish pan and fry the onion, turnip and bacon fairly briskly for around 5 minutes or until they are softening.
- Add the cabbage and the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta continue to cook for a further 5–10 minutes (depending on the pasta) until the pasta is cooked.
- Season to taste and, ideally, leave aside for several hours for the flavours to mature.
- Reheat to serve and add more water or stock if it is too thick/solid.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: