Freefrom Bean Soup with Chorizo
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
This is a real winter soup pot - quite filling enough for a main meal. And like most such pots, better if cooked the day before you need it.
- 200g / 7 oz dried flageolet beans
- 100g / 3 oz dried haricot beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 2–3 stalks celery, sliced thickly
- 3–4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 3–4 rashers (slices) of fatty back (Canadian) bacon, cut into smallish pieces
- 150g / 5 oz chorizo sausage (check ingredients), sliced into thin rounds
- 3–4 bayleaves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 litres / 70 fl oz chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ – ½ Savoy cabbage, sliced
- 100g / 3 oz green beans, cut into short lengths
- sea salt
- Soak the dried beans in fresh water for 5–6 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep saucepan.
- Add the onion, leek, celery, garlic and bacon and cook gently for 5–10 minutes.
- Add 100g / 3oz of the chorizo, the bayleaves, the peppercorns, the beans and the stock.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 1 hour or until the beans are cooked.
- Add the cabbage, the green beans and the remains of the chorizo sausage.
- Cook gently for another 4–5 minutes or until the cabbage and beans are just cooked but still slightly crunchy.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.
Serves 6 – per portion
362 cals – 32g protein
16g total fat – 5g sat / 7g mono / 2g poly
29g carbohydrate of which 5.5g sugar
10g fibre – 984mg sodium / 2.5g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin B1, B6, folate & magnesium
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: