Michelle's Freefrom Chilled Borscht
Corn, egg, gluten, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame & wheat free; can be lactose & soya free
This soup is a wonderful colour and really refreshing on a hot day.
- 500g / 1lb 3½ oz raw beetroots (beets), topped, tailed and scrubbed
- 200g / 7oz sweet potato, peeled
- 1 medium Bramley cooking apple, cored but not peeled
- 1 litre / 34fl oz water or gluten and wheat-free vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp sour cream / goat, sheep or soya yogurt depending on what you can eat
- Halve or quarter the beetroot and put in a large pan with the sweet potato, apple and stock.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 45–60 minutes or until the beets are quite cooked.
- Purée in a food processor then return to the pan.
- Adjust seasoning to taste then chill.
- Check the seasoning as chilling can dull the flavour.
- To serve pour into a tureen or individual bowls and whirl the cream or yogurt into the middle.
Serves 6 – per portion
94 cals - 10g protein
1g total fat – 0.7g sat / 0.2g mono / 0.1g poly
19g carbohydrate of which 12g sugar
4g fibre – 175mg sodium / 0.5g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin C & folate
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: