Freefrom Carrot & Chili Soup
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
from Michelle's book Cooking Gluten, Wheat and Dairy Free
This is a lovely delicately flavoured soup - given a really smooth and creamy texture by the coconut milk. Most of the red chilis you buy in supermarkets are quite mild, but take care you do not pick a Scotch Bonnet, as two would overwhelm the soup!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red chilis, de-seeded and finely sliced
- 500g / 1lb 2 oz carrots, scrubbed and diced
- approx 200g / 7 oz sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 500ml / 17fl oz wheat/gluten-free vegetable stock
- 800ml / 27fl oz coconut milk
- juice 2 limes
- approx 1 tsp tabasco (hot pepper sauce)
- sea salt
- Heat the oil on a heavy pan and gently fry the chilis for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, sweet potato and stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the carrots are cooked.
- Purée in a food processor then return to the pan.
- Add the coconut milk and lime juice, mix well then season to taste with the tabasco (hot pepper sauce) and sea salt.
Serves 6 - per portion
318cals - 5g protein
24g total fat - 20g sat / 1.5g mono / 0.5g poly
20g carbohydrate of which 8g sugar
3g fibre - 76mg sodium / 0.19g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: