Freefrom Garlic and Almond Soup
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
A rather exotic soup with a hint of southern Spain. The texture is delicious but unusual - it can be served hot or cold. You can toast the flaked almonds if you wish, which improves their flavour - but we rather liked the blind white of the soup with them untoasted.
- 3 heads of fresh garlic
- 150g / 5 oz piece of fresh ginger - or 1 heaped tsp powdered
- 225g / 8 oz ground almonds
- 1.2 litres / 40fl oz water
- 200-300ml / 7-10fl oz whatever ‘milk’ you can tolerate
- sea salt and white pepper
- 40g / 1½ oz flaked almonds
- Peel the garlic but leave in cloves.
- Peel the fresh ginger and cut into several large pieces.
- Put the garlic, pieces of ginger (or ground ginger) and ground almonds into a saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the ginger pieces and purée very thoroughly in a food processor and return to the saucepan.
- Thin with the milk until you get a satisfactory consistency then season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls sprinkled with the flaked almonds.
Serves 6 - per portion
305cals - 11g protein
26g total fat - 3g sat / 17g mono / 5g poly
7g carbohydrate of which 4g sugar
3g fibre - 23mg sodium / 0.05g salt
Good Source of: Zinc & calcium
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: