Freefrom Green Pea and Chicken Soup
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
- 3 young leeks, very finely sliced
- 3 bay leaves and 3 large sprigs of fresh thyme (or 3 tsp dried)
- 1 medium-large free-range chicken, organic
if you can run to it
- 1 tsp each sea salt and black peppercorns
- 3 litres / 100fl oz water
- 300g / 10fl oz petits pois, fresh or frozen
- leaves from 4 large sprigs fresh mint
- Put the leeks, bay leaves and thyme in a large pot with the chicken, salt and pepper and the water.
- Cover, bring very slowly to the boil and simmer very gently for 1½ hours.
- Carefully remove the chicken (including any spare bits of bone or fat) and set aside.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme and discard.
- Purée the peas and mint in 2 ladlefuls of the stock then add a further 1.2 litres / 40fl oz of the stock and mix well.
- Remove the breast and thigh meat from the chicken and set aside.
- Carefully remove the remaining meat from the chicken bones and add to the soup.
- To serve, reheat gently and adjust seasoning to taste.
Serves 6-8 – per portion
233cals – 35g protein
8g total fat – 2.5g sat / 3g mono / 2g poly
5g carbohydrate of which 1.7g sugar
2g fibre – 374mg sodium / 0.9g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin B1, B2 & B6
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: