Michelle's Freefrom Yellow Split Pea Soup
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
The excellent flavour of this soup depends on the really long, slow cooking of the onions - so be generous with your time if nothing else!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 level tsp ground cumin
- 1 level tsp ground coriander
- 2 medium onions, very finely sliced
- I medium carrot, very finely grated
- 300g / 11 oz yellow split peas
- 2 litres / 68fl oz gluten and wheat-free vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the cumin and coriander.
- Cook gently for 2-3 minutes then add the onions and carrot and continue to cook very gently, uncovered, stirring regularly, for 45-60 minutes. Make sure they do not burn.
- Add the split peas and the stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, add extra stock if it is too thick and serve.
Serves 6 - per portion
298cals - 25g protein
10g total fat - 2g sat / 4g mono / 1g poly
35g carbohydrate of which 4.5g sugar
4g fibre - 691mg sodium / 1.7 salt
Good Source of: Vitamins B1, B6, magnesium, iron & zinc
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: