Freefrom Beetroot and Carrot Salad with Horseradish
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
A really bright and colourful salad – given a wonderful ’edge’ by the horseradish. Serve with cold meats or fish or with other vegetable or vegetarian dishes.
- 3 heaped tsps grated horseradish. You can get fresh but I normally used the English Provender Hot Horseradish that you can buy in a jar and which includes vegetable oil (unspecified), citric acid and sodium metabisulphite as a preservative. If you have problems with any of these you will need to find fresh horseradish root.
- juice 1 large lemon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 small fresh beetroots, scrubbed and grated coarsely
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and grated coarsely
- In a medium size bowl mix the horseradish with the lemon juice, salt, pepper and oil to make a dressing.
- Grate in the beetroots and carrots and mix thoroughly to coat the vegetables with the dressing.
- Leave to ‘marinate’ for a couple of hours then mix again and serve at room temperature.
Serves 4 – per portion:
5.7g Fat ( 0.8g Sat fat, 4g mono, 0.6g poly)
8g Carbohydrate of which 7g Sugar
3.5g Fibre, 235mg Sodium, 0.6g salt
Good Source: Vit C, B6
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: