Roast carrot Moroccan stew
Corn, dairy, egg, gluten, lactose, nut and wheat free
A simple warmly spiced vegetarian one bowl supper.
3 large or 4 smaller carrots
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tsp honey
salt and pepper
300g or 4 large handfuls of spinach
optional: yogurt to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 160c fan / gas 4.
- Scrub the carrots and chop them into 1cm slices. If the carrots are very large, cut the slices in half.
- Place them in a baking tray and coat in 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Cook for about 30 minutes until lightly browned and soft enough to prod a fork through.
- Meanwhile, heat the other tbsp of oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook gently for a few mintes until softened.
- Then add the garlic, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and paprika.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Next add the tomatoes. Refill the can 3/4 full with water and pour in.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chickpeas and honey and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pile the spinach on top and put a lid on the saucepan.
- Cook for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Stir the spinach through and add the roasted carrots.
- Serve with rice and a dollop of any yogurt you can eat on top.
Back to more freefrom vegetable and vegetarian recipes
Back to Foods Matter freefrom recipes home