Stephen Irvine's FreeFrom Courgette Loaf
Gluten, lactose, milk, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free; can be nut free
Stephen’s mum says: This is jolly tasty although it does break up a bit as most gluten-free cakes do.
Michelle says: If you cannot eat nuts, substitute pine nuts (which are a seed), or sunflower seeds, for the walnuts.
We normally use Doves Farm’s strong bread flour as it has a little xanthan gum ‘built in’ which helps hold the mixture together - but we also find a 50/50 combination of rice and gram flour very successful.
- 3 eggs
- 270ml / 1¼ cups sunflower oil
- 250g / 9 oz pale muscovado (raw) sugar
- 350g / 12 oz grated courgettes (zucchini)
- 275g / 9½ oz of your favourite gluten-free flour (see above)
- 1 tsp gluten/wheat-free baking powder (baking soda)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (if you are using the Doves Farm flour you will not need this)
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g / 3½ oz raisins
- 50g / 2 oz walnuts (or pine nuts or sunflower seeds)
- 50g / 2 oz dairy-free spread
- 25g / 1 oz cream cheese - dairy or soya
- 75-100g / 3-3 ½ oz icing (confectioners) sugar
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Simply mix everything together in a bowl and pour into two 900g loaf tins (2 lb loaf pans).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly then remove from the tins and cook on a rack.
- The loaf can be eaten as it is or iced (frosted) with the icing ingredients above, beaten together and spread over the top.
5400cals - 66g protein
312g total fat - 66g sat / 72g mono / 156g poly
6.30g carbohydrate of which 420g sugar
18g fibre - 3468mg sodium / 8.4g salt
Good Source of: Vitamins B6, B12 & folate
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: