Freefrom Date, Ginger and Apricot Cake
Corn, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free; can be nut free
- 100g dairy-free spread
- 1 sharp eating apple or ripe pear, unpeeled and grated
- 4 fresh dates, pipped and chopped very small
- 3 pieces of stem ginger, cut small
- 75g dried apricots, halved
- 75g sultanas
- 3 eggs
- 60g ground almonds
- 60g buckwheat flour
- 60g gram or chickpea flour
or – if you want to make it nut free – 90g each of buckwheat flour and gram flour
- 1 tsp gluten and wheat free baking powder
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Beat the butter or spread in a bowl until soft and creamy – you can do this with a mixer or a wooden spoon.
- Beat in the grated fruit, then stir in the ginger and dried fruit.
- Add the eggs alternately with the flours and the baking powder, mixing well as you do so.
(If you are not using ground almonds, add 2 tablespoons of whatever milk you can tolerate as the buckwheat absorbs a lot of liquid.)
- Line the bottom of a 15cm / 6inch cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Spoon in the cake mixture and flatten out with a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the tin and cool on a rack.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: