Michelle's Freefrom Egg-free Kiwi and Green Raisin Cake
Egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
You do not have to use green raisins for this cake – I just think that they look rather lovely and have a slightly subtler, less sweet flavour than ordinary raisins – but sultanas would do fine if you cannot find green raisins.
- juice ½ lemon
- 70g / 2½ oz green raisins or sultanas
- 100g / 4oz PURE or other dairy-free spread, softened or cut into small chunks
- 150g / 6oz pale muscovado sugar
- 1 ripe kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
- 1 small eating apple, peeled and chopped
- 180g / 6½ oz Doves Farm self-raising gluten free flour
or equal quantities of rice flour, potato flour and cornflour with ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 heaped tsp gluten and wheat-free baking powder
or, if you are not using the Doves Farm flour, 2 tsp baking powder
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Soak the raisins or sultanas in the lemon juice.
- In a food processor, whiz the softened spread with the sugar, kiwi fruit and apple until all are creamed and light – do not worry if they separate, they will come together in the baking.
- Gradually fold in the flour with the baking powder followed by the raisins and the lemon juice.
- Oil a loose bottomed 15cm / 7inch cake tin (if you do not have a loose bottomed one, line the base of your cake tin with oiled foil or greaseproof paper) and spoon in the mixture.
- Smooth our the top and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool partially in the tin, then loosen the sides and turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: