Freefrom Ginger and Banana Loaf
Corn, egg, gluten, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame & wheat free; can be lactose & soya free
The texture of this loaf is cakey rather than bready – but it does not quite qualify as a cake! However, it is delicious – and it is gingery... If you like gentle rather than vigorous ginger flavouring, reduce the amount of stem ginger to 40g / 1½ oz.
- 2 medium sized ripe bananas
- 50g / 2 oz goat’s butter or dairy-free spread (we used Pure)
- 1–3 tbsp agave, maple or golden syrup, depending on how sweet you want your loaf
- 40–60g / 1½ - 2oz pieces of stem ginger in their syrup, depending on how gingery you want your loaf
- 100g / 3½ oz buckwheat flour
- 50g / 2oz brown rice flour
- 2 heaped tsp gluten and wheat-free baking powder (baking soda)
- 1 heaped tsp powdered ginger
- 2 large tbsp kefir or plain goat, sheep or soya yogurt
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Mash the bananas with the butter or spread in a food processor – or mash the bananas with a fork and then beat with the fat in a mixer.
- Beat in whichever syrup you are using.
- Cut the stem ginger into small pieces and add to the mixture.
- Sieve the buckwheat and rice flour with the baking powder (baking soda) and the ginger and fold them into the bananas mixture alternatively with the kefir or yogurt.
- Line a 20cm (8") loaf tin with greaseproof (waxed) paper and oil lightly.
- Spoon in the mixture, smooth out the top and bake for 30–35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin before turning out and to finish cooling on a rack.
1401cals – 18g protein
46g total fat – 28g sat / 11g mono / 2g poly
236g carbohydrate of which 101g sugar
7g fibre – 1322mg sodium / 3.3g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: