Katherine's FreeFrom Beetroot and Carob Cake
Corn, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
- 200g beetroot (1 large one)
- 3 eggs
- 160g / 5 oz caster sugar
- 180g / 6oz rice flour
- 180g / 6oz ground almonds
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 heaped tbsp carob powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 200ml/ 7/8 cup dairy free milk
- Jam or carob spread
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F/gas 3.
- Oil two 18cm loose bottom cake tins and line the base with baking parchment.
- Peel the beetroot (I wear rubber gloves for this) and either grate finely or blitz in a food processor.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and full of bubbles.
- Add the beetroot, flour, ground almonds, vanilla, carob powder, vanilla, baking powder and salt.
- Beat until everything has mixed.
- Whisk in the milk and then divide the mixture evenly between the tins.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Take the cakes out of the oven and remove from their tins onto a wire rack. Make sure at least one is the right way up for presentation without rack marks.
- When they are completely cooled, sandwich them together with a jam of your choice or carob spread.
- Store in an airtight container.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: