Katherine's Chocolate and Almond Cake
Corn, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
This is a rich grown up cake and thanks to the almonds will keep well without drying out. The brandy and espresso are optional but I would use at least one to give the flavour some depth.
- 200g dark chocolate
- 5 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tbsp espresso coffee
- 1 medium peeled sweet potato (approx 150g)
- 100g ground almonds
- 5 eggs, separated
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
- Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water.
- Finely grate or whiz the sweet potato in a food processor.
- Add to the melted chocolate along with the agave syrup, brandy and espresso.
- Mix in the almonds and add the egg yolks one at a time.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Mix a couple of spoons of the egg white into the chocolate mixture to loosen it and then gently fold in the rest to retain the air.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 50 minutes or less if you prefer a more fudgy cake.
- Leave to cool in the tin before turning out.
For the whole cake
146g Fat (47g Sat fat, 71g mono, 16g poly)
216g Carbohydrate of which 183g Sugar
15g Fibre, 520g Sodium, 1.3g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: