Michelle's Freefrom Polenta (Cornmeal) Ginger Cake
Gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
The polenta gives this gingerbread a lovely nutty texture
- 100g / 3½ oz butter or dairy-free spread - we used PURE
- 100g / 3½ oz molasses or dark molasses sugar
- 50g / 2 oz agave syrup, dark if possible
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 heaped tsp ground ginger
- ½ level tsp ground nutmeg
- 50g / 2 oz fat raisins
- 250g / 9oz polenta (cornmeal)
- 100ml / 3 fl oz ginger tea or apple juice
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Gently melt the butter or spread in a pan with the molasses and agave syrup.
- Take off the heat and cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs lightly into the mixture.
- Mix the ginger, nutmeg and raisins into the polenta (cornmeal) and then stir into the butter and syrups along with the ginger tea or apple juice.
- Line a small loaf tin (pan) with greased greaseproof (waxed) paper and pour in the mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the tin and allow to cool on a rack before slicing.
Makes 1 small loaf - per loaf
2604cals - 48g protein
110g total fat - 59g sat / 29g mono / 5g poly
370g carbohydrate of which 176g sugar
7g fibre - 1204mg sodium / 3g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: