Michelle's Freefrom Polenta (Cornmeal) and Sunflower Cake / Bread
Egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
This is one of my rather stranger concoctions – a sort of cake bread which some tasters found really interesting and tasty (if quite substantial) while others thought I really should not have bothered... However, it is gluten, wheat, egg and dairy free and, provided you can eat nuts, it was yummy with some of BoojaBooja’s maple and pecan ‘ice cream’. I await further comments!
- 55g / 2oz sunflower seeds
- 2 medium bananas
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- rind and juice 1 lemon
- 140g / 5oz polenta (cornmeal)
- 2 heaped tsp gluten/wheat-free baking powder (baking soda)
- 3/8 cup oat or rice milk
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Dry fry the sunflower seeds carefully so that they are lightly toasted but not burnt. Set aside.
- Whizz the banana, maple syrup and lemon rind and juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the polenta (cornmeal) and baking powder (baking soda) and whizz again briefly.
- Add the milk and whizz briefly until the ingredients are mixed.
- Remove the blade and stir in the sunflower seeds.
- Oil a small loaf tin (loaf pan) and spoon in the mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove for the tin and cool on a rack.
Serves 6 – per portion
131cals – 3g protein
4.5g total fat – 0.7g sat / 1g mono / 2.5g poly
21g carbohydrate of which 15g sugar
1g fibre – 164mg sodium / 0.4g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin B1 & B6
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: