Michelle's Freefrom Summer Fruit Cake
Egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
(from Michelle's book Cooking gluten, wheat and dairy free)
A lovely fresh-tasting cake – just right for tea on the lawn. To convert it into a dessert, serve it warm in wedges with a fresh fruit purée.
- 100g / 3½ oz dairy free spread or coconut oil
- 50g / 2 oz light muscovado (raw) sugar
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 50g / 2oz soft dried apricots, chopped
- 100g / 3½ oz strawberries, chopped
- 100g / 3½ oz redcurrants
- 150g / 5½ oz gluten & wheat free flour (we used Doves Farm bread flour with Xanthan gum) or 75g / 2½ oz each of gram and rice flour
- 1 tsp gluten/wheat free baking powder (baking soda)
- 3 medium eggs
- 25g / 1 oz rolled oats (coarse oatmeal), coconut flour, polenta (cornmeal) or ground almonds (to add extra texture to the cake)
- juice of ½ a large lemon
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Beat the spread with the sugar till light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile purée the banana with the apricots, strawberries and half of the redcurrants then beat into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Sift the flours with the baking powder (baking soda).
- Stir in the eggs, adding a spoonful of flour with each egg then fold in the rest of the flour, the oats, coconut flour or almonds and the remaining redcurrants along with the lemon juice.
- Oil an 18cm loose-bottom cake tin (7" cake pan) and line with greaseproof (waxed) paper.
- Spoon in the mixture and bake for 40 minutes or until the cake is firm and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack (grid) before cutting.
2045cals - 45g protein
107g total fat - 23g sat / 36g mono / 39g poly
240g carbohydrate of which 104g sugar
15g fibre - 1439mg sodium / 3.6g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: