Michelle's Freefrom Apple and Cranberry Clafoutis
Corn, gluten, nightshade, peanut, sesame & wheat free; can be lactose, milk, nut & soya free
I always end up in January with at least two extra bags of cranberries and, being too mean to throw them away, have to think of something to do with them. So here goes with one idea. Incidentally, I have been told that if you stop cooking cranberries as soon as they start to pop they will not taste bitter – cooking them this way, they certainly didn’t.
The dates should provide enough sweetness for this dish, especially if you are using the liqueur but if you are using an unsweetened milk and no liqueur you might want to add a level tablespoon of light muscovado sugar to the milk.
Serves 4 generously
- 2 Bramley cooking apples or 4 tart eating apples, peeled and sliced
- 100g / 4 oz fresh cranberries
- 4 soft dates
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier (optional)
- 300ml / 10 fl oz of whichever milk you can tolerate – goat, soya, oat, nut or, as we used, hemp milk or, if you are not using the liqueur, 330ml / 11floz
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Turn the sliced apple into a flan dish along with the cranberries.
- Stone dates and cut them in thin slithers.
- Mix them into the other fruit.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and add the liqueur if you are using it, the milk and the sugar, if you are using it.
- Pour over the fruit in the dish and bake, uncovered for 45–50 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
6.5g Fat (1.5g Sat fat, 2.5g mono, 1.5g poly)
14.7g Carbohydrate of which 14.7g Sugar
2.5g Fibre, 92mg Sodium, 0.23g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: