Freefrom Chocolate Orange Meringues
Corn, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
These are very nice little chocolate meringues but, if you wanted to be a bit more exotic, you could bury a segment of orange or grapefruit in each. I buried orange but, because the meringues are so sweet, I think that the tartness of grapefruit would work even better.
Makes 8 filled meringues or 16–20 mini meringues
- 2 egg whites
- 80–100g / 3–4 oz icing sugar, depending on the size of the egg whites
- 20g / scant 1 oz dairy-free dark chocolate, preferably 85% cocoa solids to counteract the sweetness of the icing sugar
- 1 juicy (heavy) orange or grapefruit
- Heat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas mark 1 or 160C/325F/Gas mark 3 depending on whether you want your meringues crisp on the outside and soft in the middle or crisp all the way through.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff then gradually beat in the sifted icing sugar; the mixture should be shiny and hold it shape in peaks.
- Grate the chocolate on a fine grater and fold into the meringue mixture.
- Segment the orange or grapefruit then carefully skin each segment – this is quite easy. Pierce the skin with a sharp knife and then peel the skin back.
- Lightly oil a sheet of aluminium foil on a baking tray.
- Put a segment of orange or grapefruit on the oiled foil and, with a small tablespoon, drop a spoonful of meringue mixture over the top and allow it to roll down the sides of the fruit.
- Repeat this until all the mixture is used up, making sure that the fruit is well covered.
- Bake for 30 minutes at the hotter temperature or 1 hour at the lower temperature depending on whether you want soft or crisp middles to your meringues.
- Carefully remove the meringues with a spatula onto a serving dish and decorate as you feel inspired.
- If you do not want to fill the meringues, just drop teaspoons of the mixture onto the oiled foil then bake for 20 minutes or 40 minutes respectively.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: