Freefrom Chocolate and Orange Soufflé
Corn, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame & wheat free
As it stands this soufflé will appeal to dark chocolate freaks but may be slightly bitter for those who prefer a less vigorous chocolate hit. These people should use a milder chocolate and add a little sugar.
- 300g / 10½ oz dark (bittersweet), dairy free chocolate - we used 72% Green and Blacks cooking chocolate but you could use the D&D Chocolate chips which are 55% cocoa solids
- grated rind of 1 large orange
- 25g / 1 oz light muscovado (raw) sugar (optional)
- 6 medium whole eggs plus two extra egg whites
- 4 tbsp orange liqueur - Cointreau, Grand Marnier etc
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Break up and melt the chocolate over hot water or in a microwave.
- Cool slightly then stir in the orange rind, sugar if you are using it and the liqueur.
- Separate the eggs and stir the yolks into the mixture.
- Whisk the whites until they hold their shape in soft peaks.
- Stir one third of the whites into the chocolate, then fold in the rest and pour into a soufflé dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the soufflé is risen and just firm to the touch - ideally it should still be slightly runny in the middle.
- Serve at once with whatever cream or ice cream you can eat.
Serves 6 - per portion
390cals - 20g protein
20g total fat - 10g sat / 7.5g mono / 1.2g poly
39g carbohydrate of which 36g sugar
1.3g fibre - 89mg sodium / 0.2g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: