Freefrom Anchovy Hummus
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
Chickpeas seem to form the ideal base for hummus ingenuity – and this is my latest variation. Adding the ice (very authentic, straight from the Lebanon) lightens the texture.
Serves 4 – generously
- 200g / 7oz dried chickpeas
- 150-200ml / 5–8fl oz olive oil
- 4–6 anchovies, chopped, plus the oil from the tin
- juice 2 lemons
- sea salt (or seaweed mineral salt) and freshly ground black pepper
- 4–6 knobs of ice
- Soak the chickpeas overnight.
- Drain and put in a saucepan well covered in fresh cold water.
- Bring to the boil and boil, briskly, uncovered for 45–60 minutes or until they are cooked but not too soft.
- Drain and turn into a food processor.
- Add half the oil and the anchovies and then whiz and continue to whizz adding more oil, lemon juice and seasoning to taste.
- When more or less happy with the flavour, add the ice and continue to whiz until it has been incorporated into the mixture.
- Adjust the seasoning once more before serving with crackers, gluten free flat bread or raw carrots and celery.
Serves 4 – generously – per portion
31g Fat ( 4.2g Sat fat, 21g mono, 4g poly)
25g Carbohydrate of which 1g Sugar
3g Fibre, 137mg Sodium, 0.35g salt
Good Source: B6, Folate
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: