Freefrom Beef Tomatoes Stuffed with Cod’s Roe
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
The great big beef tomatoes which appear late in the summer are ideal for this dish. If you cannot persuade your family to eat cod’s roe, no matter how good it may be for them, you can substitute fresh or tinned tuna or even cooked chicken.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 12 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 large beef tomatoes
- 225g / 8oz wholegrain rice
- 900ml / 30fl oz gluten and wheat-free vegetable stock
- 2 x 200g / 7oz tin (can) of pressed cod’s roe, diced
- 3 large handfuls parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- juice 1–2 lemons
- lots of green leaves of your choice
- Heat the oil in a wide pan and add the onions and garlic.
- Fry gently for a few minutes then add the mushrooms and continue to cook gently for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile halve the tomatoes horizontally and scoop out all the flesh, seeds and juices, and reserve.
- Chop the flesh quite small.
- Add the rice to the vegetables and cook together for a couple of minutes, then add the tomato insides.
- Cook for another minute then gradually add the stock.
- Stir, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the liquid is mainly absorbed and the rice just cooked.
- Add the cod’s roe and parsley and season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- When the rice is cooked, lay the tomato halves out in an ovenproof dish and fill with the stuffing.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35–40 minutes or until the tomato shells are cooked and the rice is lightly browned and crisp on top.
- Lay out on a bed of green leaves and serve warm or at room temperature.
Serves 6 – per portion
286cals – 20g protein
6g total fat – 1g sat / 1g mono / 3g poly
39g carbohydrate of which 7g sugar
3g fibre – 164mg sodium / 0.4g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin B1, B6, B12 & C
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: