Freefrom Poached Trout with Rhubarb Sauce
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame & wheat free; can be soya free
Rhubarb is so delicious at this time of year that I am tempted to use it for every meal. It makes an excellent accompaniment to any fish, especially if the fish has a reasonably definite flavour of its own such as trout or mackerel.
- 6 rainbow trout, cleaned and with their heads removed or not as you like
- 2 lemons
- 150ml / 5fl oz white wine or water
- 225g / 8 oz rhubarb
- 25g / 1 oz dairy-free spread
- 150ml / 5fl oz soya or oat cream
- salt, white pepper and a little caster (fine white) sugar - optional
- Put the trout in a heavy pan or ovenproof dish with 1 lemon, sliced and the white wine or water.
- Cover it and cook it gently for 20-25 minutes on a hob or in a moderate oven.
- Meanwhile chop the rhubarb and stew it gently with the spread in a pan.
- When it is cooked, liquidise or process the rhubarb and add the cream and juice of the remaining lemons to taste.
- If the sauce is too thick (it should be the consistency of double cream) add a little of the juices from cooking the fish.
- Season it to taste with salt and pepper and a little bit of sugar if you find it too sharp.
- To serve, remove the fishes from the dish, skin and fillet them, if you feel kind to your guests, and lay them on a dish. Spoon the sauce over each fillet or serve it separately.
Serves 6 - per portion
366cals - 46g protein
17g total fat - 1g sat / 5g mono / 5g poly
3.5g carbohydrate of which 3g sugar
0.5g fibre - 166mg sodium / 0.4g salt
Good Source of: Magnesium, iron & selenium
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: