Freefrom Tuna Steaks with Chard and Coconut Milk
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
A lovely subtly Eastern-flavoured sauce.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 25g / 1 oz piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 fresh tuna steaks
- 1 level tsp each ground cumin and coriander (cilantro)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 100g / 3½ oz fresh okra, topped, tailed and cut into thin rounds
- 250g / 9 oz chard, the leaves cut in half lengthways and crossways if they are big
- 400ml / 13fl oz coconut milk
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a wide pan and gently fry the garlic, shallot sand ginger for 4–5 minutes or until they are fairly soft.
- While they are cooking, mix the spices with some salt and pepper and liberally coat the tuna steaks with the mixture on both sides. Press into the flesh of the tuna.
- Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the remains of the oil to the pan.
- Briskly sear the tuna steaks on both sides in the oil then remove from the pan.
- Use the white wine vinegar to deglaze the pan of any stuck spices then return the fish and the vegetables to the pan with the vinegar juices.
- Add the okra and the chard and then the coconut milk.
- Bring to the simmer then cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Serve with wholegrain brown rice and a salad.
Serves 4 – per portion
Calories 481 Kcals
32g Fat (18g Sat fat, 8g mono, 3g poly)
8g Carbohydrate of which 2g Sugar
1g Fibre, 204mg Sodium, 0.5g salt
Good Source: Vitamins, B12, B6, folate, Iron, Selenium,
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: