Michelle's Freefrom Red Cabbage with Spicy Sausage
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
A really dramatic looking - and tasting - dish!
- 2 tbsp hemp or olive oil
- 8 stalks celery
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, lightly bruised
- 300g / 11 oz finely sliced red cabbage
- 100ml / 3fl oz red wine
- 200g / 7 oz chorizo or other spicy sausage - check the ingredients carefully to ensure it does not contain dairy or gluten
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- sprig of fennel leaf or parsley to decorate
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the celery and fennel seeds.
- Cover and sweat over a low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the celery is quite soft.
- Add the red cabbage, the wine and the sausage, cover the pan again and continue to sweat over a low heat for a further 20 minutes. The cabbage should still retain a little bit of crunch.
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper - although, depending on the sausage you have used, you may not need much of either.
- Serve the dish hot, warm or cold, as a main course or as a substantial salad.
Serves 6 - per portion
165cals - 7g protein
12g total fat - 6g sat / 2g mono / 0.5g poly
3g carbohydrate of which 2g sugar
2g fibre - 629mg sodium / 1.6g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin B12
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: