Michelle's Joan Cromwell's Freefrom Chicken and Apple Salad
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
And I mean Joan, as in wife of Oliver... I first found this recipe when I was
researching a book on the food references in Samuel Pepys’ diary and it has been a firm favourite ever since. The original, in The Court and Kitchen of Elizabeth commonly known as Joan Cromwell 1664, goes:
‘Take a hen and roast it, let it be cold, carve up the legs, take the flesh and mince it small, shred a lemmon and a little parsley and onyons, an apple, a little pepper and salt, with oyle and vinegar; garnish the dishes with the bones and lemmon peel and so serve it.’ I normally dispense with the bones...
- the meat of a cooked chicken, cut up small
- the grated peel and juice of 3 lemons
- 1 large sharp eating apple, cut in small dice (skin on)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large handfuls of parsley or watercress, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- extra watercress or leaves
- In a bowl mix the chicken, lemon peel, apple, onion and parsley or watercress.
- Sprinkle to taste with sea salt and pepper then add the lemon juice and olive oil and mix well.
- Serve with extra watercress leaves.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: