Open Aubergine Lasagne
Dairy, egg, gluten, nut, soya and wheat free
Lighter and quicker than actual lasagne, this would
work as a starter or light lunch with salad. It is easy
to add any other elements you like to the stack such
as roasted peppers, fresh basil, olives, mushrooms...
3 tbsp olive oil
1 medium aubergine
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped into chunks
4 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
pinch of dried chilli flakes
dash of balsamic vinegar
2 sheets of gluten-free lasagne
(I used 4 as the lasagne sheets were slim)
1 x 125g buffallo mozarella, drained
- Fry the onion gently in a tablespoon of the oil until softened.
- Add the chilli flakes and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Leave to cook down over a low heat.
- Wash the aubergine and slice into 12 pieces. Place on a baking tray and brush both sides with oil.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side until soft and lightly browned.
- Cook the lasagne sheets in plenty of boiling water until al dente and then drain well.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas Mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Cut the mozarella into 8 slices.
- Cut a sheet of lasagne in half (or 2 sheets if they are long and thin) and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush both with oil and then layer with aubergine, tomatoes and mozarella.
- Place the second sheet of lasagne at an angle to the first, brush with oil and then repeat the other layers.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned.
Back to more freefrom pasta/pizza recipes
Back to Foods Matter freefrom recipes home