Michelle's Freefrom Beetroot (Beet), Fennel and Horseradish Soup
Corn, egg, gluten, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame & wheat free; can be soya and lactose free
Beetroot (Beet) and horseradish are a great combination of flavours as the heat of the horseradish counters the sweetness of the beetroot
- as anyone who has ever eaten the traditional Jewish dish of gefilte fish with chrain will tell you!
- 600g / 1lb 5oz fresh beetroots (beets), topped, tailed, scrubbed and diced
- 1 medium head fennel
- 250g / 9oz sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1.2 litres / 40fl oz wheat and gluten-free vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 teaspoons grated horseradish
- 6 dessertspoons plain yogurt, whichever kind you can eat
- Put the beetroot, fennel, sweet potato and stock into a large pan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Simmer, with the lid on, for 30-35 minutes or until the beets are cooked, then purée in a food processor.
- Season to taste and if too thick, add a little extra stock.
- In a small bowl mix the yogurt into the horseradish until it forms a smooth paste, then season to taste.
- Serve the soup in bowls with a large spoonful of the horseradish mix swirled into each bowl.
Serves 6 - per portion
135cals - 12g protein
2.5g total fat - 0.7g sat / 0.1g mono / 0.2g poly
21g carbohydrate of which 12g sugar
4g fibre - 498mg sodium / 1.2g salt
Good Source of: Folic acid
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: