Freefrom Celery and Rice Soup with Lemongrass
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
The very long slow cooking gives this soup great flavour and texture – not unlike your Jewish granny’s barley soup but without the gluten!
- 2 tsbp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 sticks celery, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 piece of lemongrass, cut in 4 pieces
- 100g / 3½ oz wholegrain rice
- 200ml / 7fl oz dry white wine
- 1.75 litres / 60fl oz vegetable stock
- 20g / 1 oz wild rice
- 150g / 5 oz fresh spinach, either young leaves, whole, or older ones, chopped (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions and celery.
- Cover and sweat for 20–25 minutes or until they are soft.
- Add the lemongrass and wholegrain rice and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the wine and stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add the wild rice and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if you are using it, steam the spinach.
- Season the soup to taste and stir in the spinach just before serving.
Serves 6 – per portion
159cals – 4g protein
4g total fat – 0.5g sat / 0.8g mono / 2.5g poly
21g carbohydrate of which 4g sugar
2.5g fibre – 195mg sodium / 0.49g salt
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: