Freefrom Rice Soup with Coriander (Cilantro)
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, peanut, sesame & wheat free; can be nut or soya free
Last September I made a rice soup with celery and lemon grass and was so amazed by the wonderful texture that long, slow-cooked rice gave to the soup that I have been having another go. This one is even simpler - just leeks, rice and coriander – but it still tastes wonderful.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 150g / 5 oz wholegrain rice
- 2 litres / 68fl oz of gluten-free vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large handfuls fresh coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the leeks.
- Sweat for 20–30 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir around for a few minutes then add the stock, bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer very gently for at least 1 hour or until the rice is really soft and the liquid quite thick.
- Leave to cool to allow the flavours to mature.
- To serve, reheat, adjust the seasoning to taste and add the fresh coriander (cilantro).
- Stir in well but serve immediately so that the coriander remains virtually uncooked.
Serves 6 – per portion
173cals – 4g protein
7g total fat – 1g sat / 4g mono / 1g poly
25g carbohydrate of which 4g sugar
3.5g fibre – 169mg sodium / 0.4g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin B1
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: